- This event has passed.
Math and Movement Symposium for Grades PK-5 Teachers Day 1
September 26 @ 8:30 am - 3:00 pm$395
Date: September 26 & 27, 2018
Time: 8:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. (Registration: 8:00 – 8:30 a.m.)
Location: Peru Elementary School 3-5 Building Gymnasium
Cost: $395.00 charge per participant for both days, based on 30 participants
Presenter: Suzy Koontz, Founder and CEO of Learn Thru Movement, Math and Movement and Hop into Literacy
The Math and Movement Symposium offers training for teachers/schools in movement-based learning strategies in order to boost student achievement, increase physical activity, reduce obesity, and increase the overall health and brainpower of students. It is a multi-sensory approach to teaching math that incorporates physical exercise, stretching, cross-body movements, and visually-pleasing floor mats that allow children to practice using visual, auditory, and kinesthetic learning modalities.
The symposium is two days of interactive training for teachers and a family fun night.
Why attend the Math & Movement Symposium?
Learn new strategies to:
- Strengthen your students’ math and reading ability.
- Boost understanding of “hard to learn” math concepts including telling time, place value, and fractions.
- Support risk-taking in problem solving.
- Use Math & Movement to increase focus and concentration.
- Learn energizers that wake up the sleepy brain and increase math ability.
- Increase critical thinking and problem solving ability.
- Increase the health and well-being of your students.
- Improve classroom management strategies.
- Boost math retention.
- Support students with special needs.
- Decrease the cost of Response to Intervention and auxiliary services.
- Increase parent involvement.
- Promote a positive school culture.
- Utilize the support of the National Math Foundation.
Other Benefits for Teachers/Schools:
- Teachers receive TONS of FREE Books (see list below).
- Teachers are trained in the Math & Movement kinesthetic strategies and then practice their newly learned techniques with students from the host school.
- Teachers learn data collection techniques.
- Teachers learn strategies for increasing parental engagement and building school community. (The Symposium includes a Family Fun Night on the evening of the first day. Teachers will learn how to organize, set up, and run these events in order to increase parental engagement and support the learning community.)
- Participants learn about fundraisers that earn money for their school AND increase math and reading fluency.
ALL TEACHERS RECEIVE THE FOLLOWING BOOKS (the value of the books exceeds $300):
- Math & Movement Training Manual (hard copy and e-book), $54.90
- Multiply with Me, Learning to Multiply Can Be Fun, Instructor Guide (hard copy and e-book), $44.90
- Multiply with Me, Learning to Multiply Can Be Fun, Student Workbook (hard copy and e-book), $27.90
- Common Core Lesson Plan (Your choice of one grade level, K-3), $19.95
- Complete Set of Common Core Lesson Plans (coupons for e-book format), $95.52
- Multiplication Mar-a-thon Book 1 (e-book), $39.95
- Multiplication Mar-a-thon Book 2 (e-book), $39.95
***PE Teachers may swap The Math & Movement Training Manual (hard copy) for the Math & Movement Training Manual for K-5 Physical Education (hard copy)
If you wish to attend one of our workshops, you must now register through WinCap. This will make it easier for you to track your Professional Development hours. To begin, please create a WinCap guest account (see PDF below for instructions). Then, you can sign in to the WinCapWeb Professional Development Catalog, and register for a workshop.